Friday, October 5, 2012

The Early Literacy Podcast Experience

While searching for a topic to discuss, I came across some of my Early Literacy training documents. I realized at that moment that it would be fun to be able to create a podcast for parents to listen to on the topic of Early Literacy and how they can apply the six early literacy skills while reading to their child. Every child deserves the opportunity to discover bookd to learn to read and to fall in love with reading and writing. But most important to the basics of reading and writing  before they start school. My podcast on Early Literacy is about preparing parents to engage in reading activities with their children so that they can succeed in school in reading and writing. How children learn will make a difference in a child’s academic growth. The podcast provides the basic for learning the six literacy skills and applying it to everyday learning.

My experience at creating this podcast at first was stressful. I was not sure of my ability to pull through with recording and creating a mp3 and then transferring to Dropbox. My first attempt at creating the mp3 was a disaster the recording would not recognize my commands and would continue to give error screens. A day later, I decided to give it a try again and carefully followed Dr. Martin’s instructions until I was able to finally put together the podcast.

I am giving Podcast a second chance to work with me. I think is a wonderful media tool that does not require a lot of knowledge in media technology as long as you follow word by word the instructions. I think so far podcast is a media tool that has a future with me and probably I would use it for different library presentations library workshops and even for staff training. But the one application that I found quite impressive and useful was the Dropbox. I had heard about cloud storage and I even attended a presentation at Best Buy where they were presenting the new chromebook and they explained how it works with clouds. It backs up all of your documents, photos and others into cloud storage instead of the hard drive and it works faster than other laptops. I was tempted to buy it but because it was a new technology my husband did not feel comfortable about making an investment until he learned more about it.

Here goes my Podcast Presentation

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/108709166/Iglesias_Teaching%20Early%20Literacy%20Skills.mp3

3 comments:

  1. Excellent choice of topic! Introducing children to books and reading at a young age is something that cannot be stressed enough. An early introduction is the key to developing a lifelong love of reading. Placing something like this at a kiosk in the children’s section would allow parents to gain an introduction to the importance of books at a young age. Combine it with a list of suggested books based on development level and you have an excellent resource that can be reused constantly.

    It is good you were able to get the software working properly. This is probably the biggest barrier to producing podcasts. For those not technically inclined installing and setting up new software can be a pain. However, once that is finished the actual creation process really wasn’t all that bad. Hit a button to start, talk, and hit a button to stop. Of course, things get a little more complicated with editing but not extremely so. In the end, I found it was a relatively user friendly program to work with and you really can’t complain about the cost!

    On the subject of cloud storage vs. traditional storage, some are quick to say the cloud is the way of the future. Personally, I’m fonder of my data being firmly under my control with important documents backed up to DVD or BD. Backing up data to the cloud can be another layer of protection against data loss. However there are some risks involved if the company you use has their security breached, shutdown services, or have hardware breakdowns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the addition of music in the background. It flows perfectly and adds that little extra touch.

    The topic is fantastic. It is crucial to begin early for the development of children's cognition. The best part is children have fun doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made a great presentation. You gave good information in a very organized way. The background music was also a nice touch.
    I share your frustration with all of the steps to getting the podcast published. It looked simple enough. But, even with the step-by-step detailed instructions, it still took me 3x longer than I thought it would. The next time will be easier. In any case, you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete