Thursday, October 18, 2012

Discovering the use of QR Codes

Just in case you have not noticed on my blog “Finding Happiness in Social Bookmarking, I make mention about my experience with QR Code but also I posted there my QR code for your review. However, I have decided to add my own personal view on my experience on QR Codes.  For the QR Code assignment I chose for the link my Google site page on Early Literacy.  Prior to this assignment, QR Codes were ignored. I've seen QR codes popping up in all places and it got me thinking the following: What was its purpose and what can the consumer gain from its use?  It seemed to me that it was just another step to add to the many that already exist to access anything electronically.  So, I never really bother to check them out nor did I try uploading the app’s that were free and available to add to my smart phone.

So, now that I have used it and learned how to create one I can say this much about it. It seems to be a a new marketing strategy to attract attention in people wanting to know what is the message hidden behind the labyrinth shaped box. A key point here is that users are asked to do something to access the brand. The viewer, audience or member/passerby must take an action to interact with the QR Code and many of those interacting are expectant consumers etc. that are interest in not only finding out what is the surprise found in code but they do expect a payoff.   My take on this is, it is fun, new and it is always healthy to try something new. But I also say in my personal opinion if it is not in plain English why even bother.



I hope you enjoy looking at my QR Code since it was fun to create. For those of you that are unable to scan the QR Code I have included the following page to view my Early Literacy page.



2 comments:

  1. I was rather baffled when I first started seeing these weird square things popping up everywhere. However, after learning what they are for I can see the uses of them. With how connected most people are these days via smartphone, tablet, or notebook it makes sense for advertisers and retailers to make use of these avenues for reaching consumers. However, there is also some benefit to the consumer in this. If I am out shopping for an item and I have a couple of choices, if there are codes I can use to compare and contrast my choices in the store it saves me from having to go home and research then come back. Of course, you also run into space issues. An advertiser could run a quarter page ad with a QR code for much less then they could run a full page ad. And given the shifting nature of where people get their news and entertainment, advertisers and retailers have to adapt if they wish to survive. Of course, they are also much easier to tune out as you noted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting thoughts on the QR code. I don't have a Smart phone, so they are useless to me. However, although I've been seeing them all over the place lately, I never knew what they were until taking this class. I never knew about ANY of these tools that we've been learning about...except for Powerpoint. This makes me wonder, how many people WITH Smart phones actually know what the codes are for? How are they educated about them? How is any one really educated about all of these social bookmarking tools and other tools that come out of nowhere and then spread like wildfire? Are they just natural "techies"? Or is my age just showing?

    ReplyDelete