Saturday, November 3, 2012

Going Wiki all the Way


It was exciting being part of this Wiki assignment, I really enjoyed creating the YouMedia Wiki and learned much more at each step of the process. I personally enjoyed researching the topic, learning about YouMedia and being able to put together my part of the project and being able to share with the rest of the class. Apart from all other web 2.0 assignments completed, the wiki assignment turned out to be fun and easy to do. I felt that I was in control of what I needed to do and the wiki site is an easy site to follow and use. I also learned about how to use the wiki by watching the above You Tube video "Wikis in Plain English".  I think that the Wiki site could be a useful tool for any librarian that wishes to put together a pathfinder of information for patrons.  I think that the Wiki has lots of possibilities it is functionality is “user friendly” it can be created by one person or multiple people. It can be used as an information webpage that anyone can access.   It can be used by an individual, librarians, teachers, students or group of people. You can put together stories, autobiographies, historical information, pictures, geography and anything you want others to learn about. It can be used personally to build a family website that the entire family can work on like a genealogy tree. Most importantly, it allows for a person to update, add and comment helping it to become a place where a person can build a story or any other idea.

3 comments:

  1. Holy smokes, the idea of using a wiki as a family website to build a genealogy tree is FABULOUS. The only problem I could see with this is the fact that it is public -- is that type of information that should be so readily accessible? Of course I didn't look into what the private consisted of, so maybe that's something that could be used. For a few dollars a month, I think it would be well worth the price.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the idea of using a wiki for teaching about a specific program. Often, when I need to teach myself how to do something, I look online for tutorials. The idea of having everyone's input in one place is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog, and the video was really clear and informational.I wish I had seen the video bf we did our project. We used email, ugh. very frustrating...
    Well, I suppose that is why we are still learning! ha ha.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete